Monday, July 1, 2013

First day in Zhengzhou

We flew into the capital city of Henan, Zhengzhou on Sunday.  (To remember how to pronounce the city we're using pass the "Gin Joe!")  I thought we were getting Luke then, but it turns out I didn't read the itinerary close enough and we'd actually get him Monday morning.  Sigh.  One more day wasn't going to kill us.

Bobby went with the guide and eight other families across the street to the bank to exchange money to cover the various adoption processing fees.  I was starting to get worried when it hit two hours and the group wasn't back yet.  Honestly I was thinking someone got hit trying to cross the street. Yeah, you're thinking I'm being paranoid...I've never been to a city with crazier city sidewalk scooter riders and take your chances intersections.  I'll try to get some footage of that later this week.

Anyway, it turns out that each bill being exchanged was being run through a  machine to check it for legitimacy.  Any marks could cause rejection.  So a big thanks to my Dad and Melissa K for helping us get sparkling clean cash! We'd have been up a creek with what our bank would give us since every bill had a anti counterfeit stamp on it.  Ironic.

After that, we headed out as a group to walk to the local Walmart to pick up supplies for the room.  It's about 10 blocks and two harrowing intersections away.  The humidity is a little more intense than Florida.  Or maybe it's the smog fog that makes it feel that way.  Seriously, I think I've seen a blue sky once while on the ground in China.  Hope they learn from the mistakes other industrialized countries made in the past and get this pollution under control.  It can't be good for the people living here.

We found some good food at the Holiday Inn Express next door.  Even Bobby liked the dumplings.  Me and the kids have got to try and make these one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment